Valterra Viper RV Sewer Hose Review
(Camp Addict does NOT accept payment from any company to review or endorse their products.)
By Marshall Wendler
Last Updated: April 26, 2022
Dumping an RV's waste tanks isn't a lot of fun if you are using a cheap RV drain hose. Trust us when we say this is one place where you don't want to purchase the cheapest offering available.
The Valtera Viper dump hose is a great choice if you are looking for a quality product that will give you nothing but happy memories while dumping your rig. (OK, 'happy memories' may be a stretch, but using a piece of junk product can lead to very unpleasant memories at the dump station.)
The Valterra Viper sewer hose is the best of the traditional style hoses. 'Traditional' sewer hoses have the bayonet-style fitting end that comes standard on RVs.
Choose Hose Length
Available in a 15-foot and a 20-foot septic hose kit, the Viper has tough, thick walls and an outer bead to resist abrasion, scuffing, and tearing.
The hose construction encourages it to spring back into shape if stepped on or run over.
RV sewer connection fittings that are permanently attached eliminate leakage and also rotate to allow you to hook up to your camper without twisting the hose.
Both the 15 and 20-foot Valterra sewer hose kits come in the stated length, with the 15-foot kit being a single piece, while the 20-foot kit comes with two 10-foot hoses.
90-Degree Sewer Hose Adapter
Also included is a 90-degree adapter that fits into the ground sewer connector at your campsite or at a dump station.
And hey, this adapter is clear! This allows you to view the stuff coming out of your holding tanks. (Yay!)
As 'fun' as this sounds, there is a reason for it. It lets you see when your black tank is fully flushed and 'running' clear (if you are flushing it).
You can also see when the gray and black tanks stop flowing.
Additionally, the 90-degree adapter has a series of 'steps' that allow it to fit most sizes of ground sewer connectors.
It even has screw fittings of various diameters for screw-type sewer connectors, and will also press-fit tightly when screw fittings aren't present.
Valterra Viper Dump Hose Extras
Unfortunately, the Viper hose doesn't come with drip caps.
Without these, you get a bit of wonderful black or gray water spilling out when it is in your RV sewer hose carrier. At any rate, they are available for purchase separately.
10-Foot Extension Hose
If you need a little more reach, you can purchase a 10-foot extension.
It connects to either the 15 or 20-foot Valterra Viper sewer hose kits.
The Valterra RV sewer hose itself is stronger than your typical drain hose. As a result, it resists abrasion and punctures for long life.
Additionally, it springs back to shape if stepped on or driven over, thus not suffering from the normal problem of crushing that so many of the competition face.
Valterra Viper Introduction
Valterra Viper Features and Specs:
- 25 mil thick hose is flexible to -30º F and offers protection from UV rays.
- End fittings are permanently attached to minimize the possibility of leakage.
- Fittings spin so that hose doesn't twist when connecting to the RV or ground sewer connection.
- Has outer beading to help with abrasion resistance.
- Hose has a spring back feature which prevents crushing if stepped on or driven over.
- Each Viper RV sewer hose kit comes with a clear 90-degree adapter that connects the hose to the ground sewer connection.
- The adapter has multiple 'steps' that allow it to tightly fit into most sizes of ground sewer connections. There are screw fittings as well.
- Hose easily compresses for storage. Stretch it out to the desired length when in use.
- Your choice of 15 and 20-foot lengths. The 20-foot kit consists of two 10-foot hose sections.
- You can purchase a 10-foot extension if you need additional length.
- Drip (end) caps are not included with either Valterra Viper sewer hose kit but are available separately.
For campers that don't move very frequently, you might want to have an RV sewer support to 'hold' your Valterra sewer hose as it 'flows' away from your camper to sewage dump. These supports are also great if the terrain your hose runs over is uneven, to eliminate any low spots.
Author: Marshall Wendler
Camp Addict co-founder Marshall Wendler brings his technical expertise to help explain RV products in an easy to understand fashion. Full-time RVing from April 2014 - December 2020 (now RVing about 50% of the time), Marshall loves sharing his knowledge of the RV lifestyle. Marshall spends the majority of his RVing life boondocking. He is the part of Camp Addict that knows 'all the things'. He's good at sharing his technical knowledge so you can benefit.